poemsandponderings

the ordinary ponderings of a closet poetess

Monday, September 02, 2013

School days

September 2nd..

It's been a busy week with work deadlines, play dates, and getting my eldest ready for school. This will be her first year, kindergarten. She's excited, no apprehension troubles her contemplation of this new adventure. She's got sparkly new shoes and a first day of school outfit all set. It's mystifying to me, at moments, how the tiny little baby I used to have, or the curious toddler, has turned into this bright, inquisitive girl. I'm so excited to see where her journey takes her though. I'm fairly sure I'm the only apprehensive party involved, though her dad may have a few. I worry about everything. School was such a fun thing for me. I watch the teen shows and movies and often don't really relate, because so often the point of view is from someone who isn't enjoying the experience. I was lucky enough to have friends that cared, that I could care about in return. My teachers, mostly, liked me and the work was rarely difficult.

I know though, that perhaps my experience was more often the exception than the rule. So, I watch my daughter getting ready for this brand new world with a little trepidation. She's not yet learned to let the words of others roll off her back. She's very much determined to be the leader of any particular game. She's bright and, sometimes, easily bored. But she's also caring, and helpful. She's eager to show her skills. She's outgoing and happy to make a new friend. I can't be there every moment, which is as it should be, but I hope the moments I am there help her find her way down the best path, filled with happy experiences, useful challenges and a great future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home